How to make a minecraft server for free-2020
Minecraft is a sandbox video game created in java programming language developed by Mojang studios. Minecraft servers are actually multi-player game server based on the 2011 Minecraft game developed by Mojang studios which is either publicly owned or business owned. If we want our personal Minecraft server then how to create it? How to make a Minecraft server? Today we are going to talk about the overall aspect regarding this subject to make you all clear and provide your method as per your need.
In this article we will learn how to make a Minecraft server on own pc and I will also give you an idea about free Minecraft server providing website and how to use it. Stay updated because in our next article we will learn how to make a Minecraft server on VPS and about joining a free server where you can upload your own world file mods resource packs and stuff.
If you want us to make an article on it please feel free to contact us and if you want an article dedicated to making this same kind of server for java edition then also feel free to contact us.
What is Minecraft?
Minecraft is a sandbox video game developed by Mojang studios. It is one of the most selling video games ever created and ranks in 3rd most selling video game product. Minecraft is popular because you can build your own world and you can play survival mode like any other game. Maximum 30 players can play Minecraft at a time by joining a single host. It is quite popular since it’s official release in 2011.
You can either play single player or multiplayer as per your choice. It is available on the different versions as per the platform you choose. You can play Minecraft windows 10 edition, pocket edition, Xbox one edition, etc as per your choice. Minecraft java edition is most popular edition out there.
Why is the Minecraft server needed?
Minecraft server allows you to play multiplayer. Having your own Minecraft server is like ruling your own world. You can create roles, physical landscapes, etc. It is like having your own world which is under your control. It makes the world-building experience all yours. You can invite your friends and have a better game playing experience if you have your own Minecraft server. But having your own Minecraft server cost money. This is the reason why we will learn how to make a Minecraft server for free.
How to make a Minecraft server on your own pc?
If you are a Minecraft fan and don’t want to spend money on servers then this is the topic you might want. You can create your own PC to work as a Minecraft server and enjoy for free. Let’s learn how to make a Minecraft server on your own pc.
These are basic steps we are going to follow on both windows and mac medium.
- We will install the latest version of java.
- Then we will install the latest version of Minecraft server software.
- Configure the server & network.
- Then start the server.
- Check and join the Minecraft server.
Making Minecraft server on Windows
We will now learn how to make a Minecraft server on windows. Follow the steps carefully.
1. Get the newest version of Java.
- You need to install the latest version of java. For that click here and check your version. If a new version is available then you can update it.
- Go to the control panel and select java.
- Now go to update option and click on update now.
If you don’t have Java installed, download it from the official website.
2. Download and setup Minecraft server sofware
- Create a folder named “Minecraft server” on your desktop.
- Now download the server software from the Minecraft website by clicking here.
- It comes as a Java .jar file. Then put it inside the folder you just created.
- Double-click the server.jar file to start the server. It’ll create the server configuration files, which requires to be modified before the server is prepared to use.
- Now we need to accept the EULA. Search the file called eula.txt which is created on same folder where you had put server file. Open it in notepad and change,” eula=false to eula=true“.
What if you see a “Can’t save server properties” error? Run the Minecraft server as an administrator by right-clicking the .jar file and selecting “Run as administrator”. Then you can save it.
3. Start the Minecraft server.
Now lets setup and start our Minecraft server.
- We will create .bat file to start our Minecraft server. Open notepad and copy and paste the following command.
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar server.jar nogui pause
- Now save the file as ‘ServerStart.bat’ and close it.
- Save the file in the same folder where your server file lies.
Note: That 1024M in above command file text is the RAM size we allocate for the Minecraft server. 1024M= 1GB RAM which is minimum requirement for Minecraft server to run. You can allocate any RAM size as per your choice and capacity.
4. Joining the Minecraft server.
- Just double click on the .bat file we created and wait some time for server to start.
- Remember to join the server on same computer just go to the server address option on Minecraft and type 0 and click on join server. You can also type the localhost and click on the join server.
- To join from the different devices under the same network just open your command prompt on the computer where you started the server. Then type ipconfig. You will get IPV4 address.
- Just open another device under same network and under multiplayer option and server address option enter that IPV4 number and click on join server option.
- For joining Minecraft server from outside the same network you need to port forward which you can learn on the below steps.
- To stop server just type stop on command prompt.
5. Enable port forwarding on your router.
Note: Port forwarding is a security risk.
If you’re just hosting a server for players on your local network, you don’t need to worry about port forwarding.
However, if you would like to form your server accessible outside your home network then, you’ll have to enable port forwarding on your router. To learn more about port forwarding, try PortForward.com for tutorials or just browse youtube.
Configure port forwarding as per your router setting. For Minecraft, you’ll have to forward TCP port 25565.
You’ll also have to enter your server’s local IP address for the forwarded port. This tells the router which device to point at. You can get many tutorials on port forwarding on youtube. It might differs according to a router that’s why I am not including it but basic steps are same on all platform. You need to forward to TCP port 25565 for the Minecraft server.
After you done port forwarding, your server address will be something like
For example 100.30.411.232:25565, which is required to join your Minecraft server outside your home network.
If you like to learn about getting google cloud for free then click here
Making Minecraft server on Mac
You want to created Minecraft server on mac? Then follow the given steps carefully.
1. You need to install java.
You can download java from apple website.
2. Download the Minecraft server software from Minecraft website.
- Make a folder named as Minecraft server on Desktop.
- Download Minecraft server file from the Minecraft website and place it on the folder you created.
- Now double click on the server file.
- If it doesn’t run then you need to go to system preference.
- Then go to security and privacy.
- Now click on open anyway and click open.
- It will create few more files.
- Open the EULA.txt file and change eula=false to eula=true.
- Noe open TextEdit. Set the format to plain text. Enter the following command:
#!/bin/bash cd "$(dirname "$0")" exec java -Xms1G -Xmx1G -jar server.jar nogui
Save the file as start.command in the same folder where the server’s .jar file is located.
- Open the Terminal and grant permissions for the new start.command file so it can be run. Type chmod a+x with a space after the command. Drag and drop the start.command file into the terminal window. The Press Enter.
4. Enable port forwarding on your router.
This is same as we discussed with windows.
5. Start the Minecraft server.
Now to start the Minecraft server just double click on start.command file you created. For joining the server, steps are same as that we did with windows.
Using Minecraft server of Server.pro (Free)
Server.pro provides a free Minecraft server of Minecraft bedrock edition. It also provides free server for java edition too. If you don’t want to create your own Minecraft server and want to use a free Minecraft bedrock edition or java edition server then server.pro is the best option for you. It is one of the most reliable Minecraft server which is free. Let’s discuss how to use it.
- Go to Server.pro and signup for an account to make Minecraft server free.
- Activate Your server.pro Account by checking your email.
- After you activate your account, you will be greeted with this page. As we will be covering the free version in this article you need to click in the option called free.
- After selecting the free server plan you will get to choose from 2 countries from where your Minecraft server will be hosted. You can select any of them which is near to you for better ping.
- Then you will be able to choose the edition of Minecraft of which you want the server to be hosted. In this article, we will be selecting bedrock.
- Then you need to select if you want any different type of version that u have selected like in bedrock you can get the pocket mine version using which you will be able to install plugins. But for now, we will go with normal type and the latest version
- For the hostname, you don’t have to be picky because that’s not what you will be using to connect to the server. It’s just a way for the site to know your server.
- Now you just need to turn your server on. As you can see it’s a free server and you don’t even need a credit card to make the server. Now click on create server.
- As its a free server the website has to pay for the hosting so you will be kept in a queue every time you turn your server on. But for the first time, it’s only 3-4 the max. I had seen queue around 1.5k for which you had to wait for the server to turn on.
- So, after you create your server you will be placed in a queue.
- After the queue is finished you will be notified with a sound and this will come in your screen you need to click on the claim server.
- After you Claim your Minecraft server from the queue you will be greeted with this page, Here you can see the hostname you selected and the IP address and port provided to you by the server.
- After that open your Minecraft for now we will open the bedrock edition and go to the servers option and click on add server.
- For the server name, you can use any name and for the server address you can use the IP address provided by the site and port also use the one provided by the site.
- After you click on save you will be greeted by this, “click here to play now”.
- After you click on the server it will start loading and the loading time may differ due to your bandwidth and the country that you chose to host your server from.
- Then just like this, you will be loaded into the server.
- It will greet you with a captcha and you are done. Now you can enjoy the server for one more hour or you can keep renewing it. My personal record is 18 hrs.
You can upload your own world file, mods resource packs and stuff if you want us to make an article on it please feel free to ask us. In our next article, we will learn to make this same kind of server for java edition including how to host the Minecraft server on VPS.
This is the end of our awesome article. In our next article, we will learn how to make a Minecraft server with Linux VPS for free and also other things we promised to create. We will learn to upload mod resource pack and also about free websites of Minecraft server for java edition.