With the introduction of digitalization, everything is moving online. From cosmetic shopping to apparel shopping, and from depositing fees to mobile recharge everything is online. People are moving with the flow of modern technology and making use of them in their day-to-day lives. With the global breakdown of COVID-19, most developed and underdeveloped countries suffer.
What is online examination system?
Online examination is the process of conducting an exam online to test the knowledge of the examinee. People used to give exam by physically gathering in a classroom or exam hall and give exam on papers in presence of exam invigilator. With the development of online examination students can give the exam online through their own device and preferred location with the help of interest connection.
How are online examination conducted?
The teacher or examiner first prepares questions with the help of software online websites. We can select questions to be either multiple choice or text answer giving. Now examinee are provided with a link to the online exam where they sign up with their details and give exam.
Features and advantages of online examination system?
This article highlights whether online examination will take over the offline mode of exams or not? What should be the future of the online education system?
1. Ease of conducting exams: online examination software requires a computer network to conduct exams with ease. It provides great benefits to the administrator where they need to select a few questions from the assessment question bank. Students can check their results on the spot.
2. Online entrance centers: Every year universities need to spend a lot on verifying applications of the candidates for written examination and making exam centers for exams. The online examination system will replace the offline mode much conveniently.
3. No physically administrative duties involved: Many universities prefer modernization because earlier huge time and money was spent on preparing and managing the question papers and then transporting the question papers to the makers. That becomes a devastating task for the administrator while if one opts online examination system then the problem of managing and supplying question paper is reduced.
4. Global connectivity: Thousands of people can give exams at the same time. The students only need fast internet connectivity to remove any hassle during an exam. Thus, it saves time and effort for the administrator.
5. Upgraded Technology: Another advantage of using an online examination system is that you are integrating yourself with the real world. The usage of the pen, the paper is reducing with the time and most works are done on Email, text messages, social media, laptops, etc. It is good for the students to get inherent with the technology because the future is completely digitalized.
6. Arranging staff: The major problem in classic assessment methodology is to arrange the invigilators\teachers for checking the written exams of the students. Other than this, for conducting an interview the staff needed to check the invigilators who can take interviews of the students. An online examination can get rid of these problems in the future.
7. Computer-based evaluation: Shifting to online assessment provides numerous benefits to the schools, colleges teachers, and other professors. The candidates and the organization providing an assessment welcomes the online examination system open-heartedly.
8.Reduction in overhead cost: Earlier when exams are held in schools and colleges, then overhead cost on printing multiple question papers, providing answer sheets to the students, etc. adds up. Switching to an online examination system, the overhead cost reduces, as students can now easily download the question paper from the site and start doing their exam. There is no hassle of printing the question papers and providing answer sheets to multiple students. Also, the elimination of overhead costs can be utilized in core responsibilities by the schools\colleges. Overall, the burden of the administrator reduces over time.
9. More security and privacy: Online Examination system is more secure than the traditional education sector in such sense that-
The students will not get enough time to cheat the answer sheets.
Uploading the answer sheets requires a specific Id and password that no else can open and rectify.
Students can check their results through login Id.
The candidate’s information remains confidential
Students can check the result batch-wise without any hassle
10. Reduces labor cost: The amount of resources that are required to make a single examination is devastating as the teachers involved from setting the examination to the administrator has to make sure the accurate amount of copies should be printed. No less or more is needed. With the introduction of an online examination system, the labor cost is minimized to an extent.
Also check: Conversion of pdf to doc for online classes.
11. No bias: The result of the students can be generated on the spot or if it is a subjective paper then it may take one-two months to get updated on the site. No human error or involvement is there and all the work is done in the system. Therefore, an online examination is a scalable platform where there is no botheration of preparing an exam center and choosing an invigilator for checking the exam of the candidates.
12. No unethical practices: Another advantage of the online education system is that no student can tend to do unethical practice during an exam. It is because even if the subject is the same for all, the questions of all the students will be different or shuffled.
13. Autograding: The online exams come with objective and subjective section. The objective section contains MCQ’s that can be auto-graded easily. This is a considerable option for the teachers that require a minimum time to evaluate a large number of answer sheets and the automated result of thousands of students appear instantly with the system without human involvement.
Why to use online examination system?
The future of online exams can overtake the classic assessment methodology. Since the classical mode of examination was adopted there was an increase in labor cost, overhead cost, tree-cutting for making papers, increasing the burden on the administrator to print question papers, and much more. With online examinations many universities, colleges found that there is a need for cost-cutting and to take a step in the real world without hesitation.
So, from the above-mentioned points, it is clear that online examination is the future of an education sector that benefits every student, teaching staff, and administrator. The time and cost are reducing which was not possible with offline exams.
Therefore, technology has embraced the education sector, and hence, no space is left for pen and paper.