Setup VPN server private| Create your own VPN
Virtual private network(VPN) allows you to create private connection and route your internet traffic over that network. Ever wondered how you can make your own VPN? There are thousands of VPN service providers. Some of them are free and some need to be paid. Some VPN might keep logs and sell our data. So, how to be safe and choose the right VPN? Won’t it be wonderful if we can set up our own private VPN server? I think we should either choose right VPN service providers or create our own VPN if we love our privacy.
Today we will learn to create our own VPN server for Android, ios and PC for free with google cloud, AWS and Microsoft azure. You won’t require to do any coding or complex stuff. Just follow this tutorial carefully then you will have your own VPN app which you can show off to your friends. Interesting isn’t it?
What does VPN mean?
Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the type of network connection that allows you to create a secure private connection over any type of public network and enables you to send and receive data securely. VPN establishes a secure private connection over any type of network either public or private, by connecting to another computer (server) over the internet. You are accessing the internet using the server location and internet of the server while you are connected to VPN. This made you possible to connect over the network outside your own country bypassing regional barriers.
VPN allows you to access region-restricted contents and keep you safe from peeping eyes. VPN was created to connect scattered business network securely over the internet and allow you to perform your confidential business task from home.
What are the uses of VPN?
There are many advantages and uses of Virtual private network(VPN). Let’s point out some of them.
1. Access geographical restricted contents: You can use VPN to access country of geo-restricted contents. This is useful when you can’t access something from your current location.
2. Bypass internet censorship: Many things might be banned in a certain country. Like in countries like China, Syria, many things are censored. To bypass country censorship VPN can help you.
3. Hide your activities from your ISP: Your internet traffic is routed from different route when you use a VPN. This prevents your activities from getting recorded at your internet service provider.
4. Access local network of your Business office and Home: You can connect your business private network with VPN securely from anywhere.
5. Accessing Torrent by bypassing legal barriers: VPN are used widely for torrenting. Torrent are illegal and blocked or banned in most of countries but by using VPN people bypass this legal barrier.
6. Protect data while using public wifi:
If you use VPN while surfing public wifi or hot-spot then you can save yourself being monitored. Your data are securely transferred and received to secure connection.
Why create your own VPN server?
You can find several cases over the internet about data leak and selling done by infamous VPN service providers. This makes no sense of using a VPN because one of the key purposes of a VPN is to establish a secure and private connection. If paid VPN is leaking our data and keeping logs then we can’t trust free VPN service providers.
We are routing our internet traffic over the VPN connection when we are using a VPN. It makes us vulnerable if the VPN service provider is monitoring our task and keeping logs. This keeps our privacy in more danger while using VPN than while not using. Some of the VPN servers are highly costly. So, to prevent all these things from happening we can create our own VPN.
How to the setup VPN server with google cloud?
We will create our own VPN server using google cloud. Let’s learn how we can create our own private VPN.
- You need to create a server at first to setup your own VPN. We will create a VPS in google cloud. If you don’t have google cloud then learn from our past tutorial about getting google cloud without credit card.
- Navigate to Compute engine option from sidebar and then click on VM instances.
- Then click on create option. Here we will create server for our VPN.
- Name the VPS as I named it as to Toptechpal.
- Then scroll down and under networking, name the network tag as you like. Then click on create option.
- Now go back and again from the sidebar, select VPC network. Choose firewall option.
- Click on create firewall rule option. Then name the rule.
- Then enter the tag name and select IP as 0.0.0.0/0 and select allow all for protocols and port. Then hit create option. This steps is important for the functioning of our private VPN server.
- Go back to your VM instance. There you will see SSH written in your VPS and at the side of it, you will see dropdown option. Click on it and select open on browser option. A session will open in a new tab in your browser.
- Copy and paste the given codes in the browser ssh session. apt install wget
- Now visit Outline manager website and download outline manager for your device.
- Install outline manager. Now we need to set up our VPN server. Select Set up option under google cloud platform.
- Copy the code which is given on your screen.
- Now we need to setup our server. Copy the code from the outline manager and paste in your ssh connection in the browser.
- Then after some processing, you will get some green code. Copy all the green text.
- Paste all those green texts you copied, on the box at your outline manager app. Then click done.
- Congrats you just created your own VPN server. Now to connect we need an access key. For getting access key just click on that PC like icon.
- You can choose the device. If you want to get access key for the different device then choose the second option and copy link.
- I have downloaded the outline manager client app in my android device for using a VPN. Now paste the link you copied on the browser of the device on which you want to use VPN and search it. You will get the access key. Copy it.
- After opening the outline manager client app in android, click on add server and paste the access key which you just copied.
- Congratulations, you are connected to your own VPN server. Enjoy and don’t forget to test it with qwiklab if you don’t have google cloud.
We can also create our own VPN with Azure and AWS for free. Azure can be a great source for creating professional type VPN. Comment below if you want an easy tutorial on it.
You learned to create your own VPN server. But remember you are using server of others. Unless you create your own encrypted server you, there is no guarantee of your 100% privacy. Anyway, this tutorial prevents your data selling and prevents your acts to get logged.
Another awesome article came to end. More such interesting tutorial and tricks are yet to be known and shared. Stay updated and feel free to share and support us.