The audio service is not running - Solved
Windows is one of the most popular operating systems in the world with millions of users. Windows 7 and later operating system are used by many people in the world. But there is one problem that windows users are commonly facing nowadays. It is the audio service is not running issue. Even though your device audio was working fine and you were able to play through connected speakers before, you might face this audio service not responding issue anytime. How can we fix this error?
Audio service not running issue is common in Windows. When you are trying to play a media or audio file, the sound doesn’t come from your device. Red X is shown in the sound icon of your windows taskbar and it gives window audio service is not responding or running error. It ruins the experience of using a computer. Today we will learn how we can fix the audio service is not running error in our windows OS like windows 10 or windows 7.
Troubleshoot Windows audio service
The very first step you need to do if you find audio service not responding issue in your PC is Troubleshooting audio. This helps to point out the problem that might cause your audio service to not work. Sometimes when you update your software or install new apps, or make changes in your operating system, your audio configurations might have changed. So, what can be causing the audio service is not running problem in your PC? For troubleshooting the audio issue you can follow the given steps.
- We need to open windows setting or Control panel. Press Windows + I from your keyword. This will open windows setting in windows 10 meanwhile in a lesser version of Windows it will give you options from where you can choose Control panel.
- Now on windows 10 you can click on update and security and select troubleshoot option in order to find out the issue with audio setting. In window 8 or less you can click on find and fix the problem to troubleshoot audio service not running issue.
- Then click on “playing audio” or Troubleshoot audio playback option. Then click next and start troubleshooting to find our audio service not running issue.
- Now it will show you why your audio service was not responding and running. You can fix the problem to make your windows audio service work back again.
If you want to know how to fix discord overlay not working issue then click here.
Fix the audio service is not running error
One of the root cause of the problem is an error on some dependencies of Windows audio service while you boot or run the PC. This stops some functions of the operating system which triggers the windows audio service not responding error. It can be simply fixed by increasing or decreasing the audio volume or by restarting your PC but every time restarting PC isn’t a better solution. Today we will discuss two major methods to solve audio service not running problem in our PC.
Fix 1: Restart the windows audio service
Audio service might not be running when you open your PC. We can restart windows audio service and its dependencies for fixing the audio service is not running problem. We need to make sure that all windows audio service dependencies automatically start when we boot the PC. For doing so you can follow the given steps.
- Audio service can be restarted easily. Open Run by pressing on Windows + R button. Then type services.msc and hit enter.
- Locate Windows Audio service and right-click over it. Then click on properties. The problem of sound not coming from PC can exist if your windows audio doesn’t start with PC.
- Then set the startup type to automatic. This will automatically run windows audio service when you open your PC. Audio service not running issue caused by this issue can be fixed doing so.
- Then again go back and locate Windows audio Endpoint builder service and right-click over it. Then click on properties and set startup to automatic. You audio not responding error can be caused due to not starting of audio endpoint builder service.
- Now go back and find Multimedia Class Scheduler service if available. Then set startup to automatic.
- One by one click on Windows audio, windows audio endpoint builder and multimedia class scheduler service and restart them. Your audio service will start running now and the problem will be solved.
Fix 2: Update your audio driver
Sometimes new update for your driver might have rolled out which causes error between communication with hardware. In some cases, there might be misconfiguration with the driver. In such cases, you can uninstall and reinstall the respective driver to fix audio not responding problems. Follow the steps given below.
- We need to check audio drivers if the error with audio in PC exists. Open run with Windows + R key. Then type Devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
- Search for sound, video and game controller. Then you can see the Audio device.
- Right-click over it and click on update driver software if the update is available. This will fix your audio service not running problem
- Now see if your audio service issue is fixed or not. If it isn’t fixed then again right-click on the same option and click uninstall the driver.
- Then click again on the same option and click on scan for hardware changes. Your audio driver will be reinstalled. This will fix your audio service not working problem for sure.
If you want to learn how to fix twitch error 2000 then click here.
Your sound drivers can be causing errors in some cases. It is better to reinstall them if the problem still exists. After going through the given methods your “audio service is not running” error will probably be fixed. I hope the solutions of these methods help you to fix the problem with sound in your PC. If you have any question or any other special solution then leave a comment below.