How to check internet speed in 2021?
Slow internet connection leads to the video buffering, slow download and upload of the file, page load time increases and so on. These issues aren’t always caused by slower internet. Sometime our device might have problems and ISP might be cheating in some cases. How to pinpoint the issue exactly? The first thing to do is an internet speed test.
You pay for your home internet subscription as per the internet speed. Do you think your ISP provides you with same internet speed and bandwidth as they have promised? You need to know your internet speed in order to find what you are paying for. Your internet service provider might not be providing you with enough bandwidth and internet speed. So, how to check internet speed?
Today I will show you why high-speed internet is necessary, how you can check the internet speed and how to increase internet speed. We will use different methods to test internet bandwidth on PC, Mac and smartphones. You can monitor your download and upload speed at a different time period and find out the changes.
Why high speed internet is needed?
The reasons for the need for high-speed connection are obvious. Suppose you need to download a game file of 3GB. It is obvious you want to download it as fast as you can. For that, you require a high-speed internet connection. For a household with Gadgets, TV, PC that uses the internet continuously for streaming and gaming purpose, internet connection above 20Mbps is preferred.
Is it necessary to check internet speed from time to time?
Depending on various circumstances your internet speed might decrease. Slowing down by 5 minutes while downloading a file per day can hamper your efficiency. You need to keep track of your internet speed so that your workflow isn’t disturbed and you can give the best performance.
For people with a home, virtual office or who do remote work, internet connection is like a backbone. If your internet connection affects your meeting and task then your success might not be guaranteed. Keeping track of your internet speed before any online meeting or work prevents later disturbances.
While chilling with Netflix you will obviously want to see movies in HD. The frustration caused by a drop in movie quality and buffering while surfing isn’t good for health. If you can find out your internet speed is less then you won’t stream movies or series online. These are some major reasons related to our day to day activities which shows the importance of monitoring internet speed.
How to check internet speed?
We are going to discuss three different methods to check internet speed. Various online browser based speedtest Before you use any methods given below to test your internet speed, you need to turn off the internet connection on every device except the device you are using for testing. Then turn off VPN or any other process including download and upload that is running in your device. This helps you to get a more accurate reading for your test. Now you can use any of the given methods to monitor your internet speed.
Method 1. Check internet speed with Speedcheck
The first solution to how to check internet speed is testing your internet speed with Speedcheck. Speedcheck allows you to find your download speed, upload speed and latency. You can also create an account on Speedcheck and save your test results. From history, you can find the average internet speed. You can also prepare internet speed report with the help of Speedcheck.
- Open your browser in pc, mac or smartphone and visit the home page of Speedcheck to check internet speed.
- Click on the start test button. Now, wait till the process is completed. You will get your upload and download internet speed.
- If you want to perform the internet speed check frequently and find out your average internet speed then you can create an account on Speedcheck. Click on the login option to do so.
- Now from register option, enter your name, email and set a password then create your account.
- Then go to Start Test and begin your internet speed test. After it completes you can go to history.
- From history, you can find your number of internet speed check you performed, average download and upload speed given by it. You can also prepare a report for your test.
Method 2. Test internet speed with your PC
- Disconnect the internet from every single device in your home network to check internet speed.
- You need to connect your PC with the router via ethernet cable. Remember to use a short ethernet cable.
- Then look at the bottom right corner of your pc. You will see ethernet connection in place of your wifi signal. Right-click over the ethernet connection icon. Then click on open network and sharing centre.
- Now go to change adapter settings.
- You will see the ethernet connection. Just double click over the ethernet icon.
- You can see your internet speed that your pc can receive from there. That value can represent the highest speed your pc can reach.
Method 3. Monitor your internet connection with Speedtest apps
You can use your smartphone to test your internet connection. You need to download the Speedtest app by Ookla in your ios or android device.
- You can go to Speedtest and download the application as per your device to find your internet speed.
- Now open the app and click go. You will get the internet speed given by Speedtest after few seconds. You can check your download and upload speed.
You should perform the test at a various time interval. If your average internet speed is similar to the speed provided by your ISP then it means your device has a problem or there is a different issue to look upon.
How to increase internet speed?
A high-speed internet connection can boost up your performance and increase efficiency. Sometimes your download and upload speed might not be matching your internet speed subscription, webpage loading time might also be slow. Various factors affect the performance of the internet connection. If you found your Internet speed isn’t as fast as it should be then you can follow the given ways to increase your internet speed.
- Reset your router and modem because it cleanses the old data.
- Check the connected devices on your network. Blacklist or filter the devices which you can’t identify. Always keep the connected device’s minimum in number.
- Use ethernet cable while surfing the internet on your computer. Keep the length of ethernet cable short.
- Unplug and turn off your router for 5 minutes a day.
- Changing DNS increases internet connection is not always true. Don’t fall for it.
- Upgrade your computer hardware if the internet speed is lower in it compared to other devices. If your router or modem is old then change it.
- Last but not least, call your internet service provider and ask them to check if your home network has any issues. If there is any issue then they will fix it for you.
Also check: How to transfer file between cloud drives in high speed
This is the end for another awesome and informative article. You learned how to check internet speed and how to increase internet speed. Stay updated and share with your friends.